After I knitted the first sock, I found the video on You Tube for Cat Bordhi's wrapped and concealed short row heel - thank you Grumperina! - and, of course tried this out on the second sock. So, pic 1 above is the original heel and pic below, is the wrapped version. Much more invisible. (note the video is one of two!! you can get the second link on the same page on the right.)
So of course I now have one finished sock with a more obvious heel. Yup, you can see where this is going. And one - now finished - with a more concealed one. Rip, rip, rip. So, I nearly had a whole pair but back the first sock went to the heel and is now reknitted to halfway up the leg and maybe finished by tomorrow, if I sit down and do a stint of pure knitting.
I automatically changed to a 1x1 rib for the top cuff of the sock but found it looser and decided to ditch it. The normal cast off was also a bit too tight to actually get the socks on. I was going to cast off with a crochet hook -worked well for the berets at christmas - but I found a recommended toe-up sock cast off, again on Grumperina's blog, which has worked a treat. (You can find it down the right hand side list.)