Tuesday 28 August 2007

A Perfect Gift


Do you ever find that the books and authors you've been reading and thinking quite good suddenly get blown out of the water with a new find? Ages ago, I read all there was available of this author - Guy Gavriel Kay - and then quietly seemed to drift away from him, for some reason. I'm not sure how. Maybe he moved onto a series of books that didn't sound as interesting or maybe the library chose not to stock him anymore. Whatever the reason, I have now redicovered him and it is like being given a perfect gift.

'Ysabel' is one of those books that you keep reading and reading, although you know you will regret it the next morning when you're running on a few hours sleep! For me, it combined mystery, fantasy and the history -or depth - of a place. It never quite gives you all the answers and retains that element of unworldliness throughout.

But now I have finished, I feel there should be more. I want to explore the mysterious places and times in history he paints so vividly. Maybe he has written more or a series? Worth further investigation - there may be other hidden jewels out there, waiting to be discovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Do stay a while and visit. Please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and be inspired by all your blogs out there too:-) elaine xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails